Want to get more involved with Habitat’s work than just the occasional volunteer day? Want to experience a year building skills and making powerful connections with families and the communities around the Greater Harrisburg Area? Welcome to AmeriCorps at Habitat: dynamic, demanding, and rewarding. AmeriCorps members join Habitat of the Greater Harrisburg Area for a year, helping us serve hard-working, low-income families across the greater Harrisburg area. Members have various roles at the affiliate, but are united around the drive to provide safe, affordable housing for all families in the area.
Now accepting applications for 2017-2018
AmeriCorps National members lead volunteer teams on every single house that we build and repair, as well as work with our enthusiastic volunteers and dedicated professional staff.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply for the positions directly through the Habitat For Humanity International website.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at gro.t1506249220atiba1506249220hgrub1506249220sirra1506249220h@ofn1506249220i1506249220 or 717-545-7299.
Benefits Through AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps members contribute a year of service and in return receive a modest living stipend, a basic health insurance plan, an education award, job training, and personal and professional growth opportunities. You will leave your year of service not only with new transferable skills, but also with a sense of community that comes with no other employment opportunity.
- Living allowance up to $12,530 for the program term
- $5,730 Educational Award. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the end of service and can be used to repay qualified student loans or for future education at eligible schools. National members age 55 and older at the time of service may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members. More information at www.nationalserviceresources.gov/edaward.
- Possible forbearance of qualified student loans. Note that interest continues to accrue. However accrued interest on qualified loans is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust. Please check with your lender to see if your loan qualifies.
- Health plan benefits. Members are eligible to enroll in an Affordable Care Act compliant health plan.
- Childcare benefits if you qualify. Details about the childcare benefits can be found www.americorpschildcare.com.
Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area is located in the capital city of PA.
The Harrisburg area is best known by many as the birthplace of Milton Hershey’s Great American Chocolate Bar. For others, it’s home to the priceless Pennsylvania State Capitol Building that’s often referred to as a “Palace of Art.” Harrisburg is both of those things, and so much more! It is also centrally located among Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, and Baltimore.
Harrisburg is an up and coming city and an ideal location to take advantage of all the area has to offer, including both urban and natural activities.
Additional Information and Questions
Please contact Suzzane Hartman, AmeriCorps Host Site Manager, at gro.t1506249220atiba1506249220hgrub1506249220sirra1506249220h@ofn1506249220i1506249220 or 717-545-7299.